Born on the “Garden Island” of Kaua’i, Hawaii, I absorbed my family’s love for pristine nature as well as the arts, the music, and the mysterious spiritual ways of the indigenous peoples of Oceania.
But it was art history in Art college that awakened a great appreciation for the depths within us from which art comes, and supreme gratitude for the very power and magnitude of what we call creativity, forever present and accessible.
So I pursue this “magic”, allowing arrangements to appear before me through the combining and juxtaposing of natural objects and salvaged things manmade, ranging from children’s blocks and wooden tools to pieces of fine Asian art. It is this concentration of time-toned materials which tantalizes my sensibilities and urges me on into the mystery.
Education and Shows
- Bachelor of Art Education: California College of Arts & Crafts, Oakland 1961.
- Graduate study at University of Oregon, Eugene 1964-65.
- Solo exhibition of assemblage from shoreline findings: Crossroads Gallery, Honolulu 1968.
- MFA in Sculpture: University of Hawaii at Manoa 1970.
- Commissions for Figurecasting sculpture: Art in Public Places Program, Hawaii. State Foundation on Culture & the Arts 1970 and 1974.
- Commission for Figurecasting: Carl Lindquist, Hana, Maui 1975.
- Public high school teacher of Art & Theatre, 29 years.
- Commission for Figurecasting: Castleton State College, Vermont 1993.
- Exhibition of assemblage: Id Space Gallery, Hilo, Hawaii 2011.
- Assemblage selected for juried show: Hawaii Craftsmen, Honolulu 2011.
- Exhibition of assemblage: SKEA Gallery, Honaunau, Hawaii 2011 to present.
- Exhibition of assemblage: Living Arts Gallery, Hawi, Hawaii 2012.
- Exhibition of assemblage: Kahilu Theatre & Gallery, Waimea, Hawaii 2016.
- Member, Board of Directors: Society for Kona Arts & Education (SKEA) 2012 to present.